Now that you have your braces, how do you take care of them?
It's important for you to know how to take care of your braces properly throughout your entire orthodontic treatment. You will need to stay on top of brushing and flossing more than usual and may need to make some temporary adjustments to your diet. Don't worry, you'll be eating popcorn and snacking on potato chips again in no time! Before you can start enjoying some of the treats you love, however, you will need to take special care to avoid any foods that could damage your new appliances.
Brushing & Flossing
With braces, you should brush your teeth at least three times a day to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth healthy and clean. Brushing regularly will help remove any food that may be caught between the braces. You should also floss daily to get in between your braces where your brush isn't able to reach. Your orthodontist can show you how to brush and floss properly once your braces are placed.
Eating With Braces
We want your treatment to go smoothly and you can help by making some changes to how you eat and what you eat.
We recommend eating your food in small pieces. Most healthy foods can be enjoyed by cutting them in smaller pieces. Food and drinks that are high in sugar should be avoided to keep cavity risk low. Hard, crunchy and sticky foods should also be avoided so try to stay away from nuts, chewing gum and sticky candies.
Foods To Avoid With Braces
- Chewy foods — bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods — nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into — corn, apples, carrots
Foods You Can Eat With Braces
- Dairy — soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry — soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats — ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake